Monday, November 25, 2013

Interview

Unfortunately, I missed class today to attend an interview at Eastman Chemical Company in Kingsport, Tn. It is not unfortunate that I had an interview, but it is unfortunate that I missed Casey Park's talk. 

But, while I was in Kingsport, I discovered something amazing that I did not know existed.. Eastman. I arrived right as it was getting dark on Sunday, to check into the Marriott and go have dinner with the other applicant and a host. My hotel room overlooked a golf course, which was not impressive in itself. But, as we carpooled to dinner, Eastman illuminated the near sky. It was truly a beautiful sight.

Bright and early the next morning, it was time for the interview. We started with breakfast, where my host was late. Then we rode over to the plant and as the other applicant interviewed my host showed me videos on the Eastman Innovation Lab portion of their site to showcase what Eastman really does. My favorite video was of the Eastman Titan plastic, a baseball team was shown hitting and breaking other types of drinking cups in one hit, when they hit the Eastman Titan cup the cup just bounced around and continued to bounce hit after hit.


One of the videos that stuck out to me was a partnership Eastman had with ASU where they gave ASU industrial design majors a chance to use Perennial Wood in ways other than just for decks and siding.

After the videos, it was my turn to interview. The interview consisted of a panel of four workers, who took turns asking me questions that were based on my resume. They were looking for things that displayed teamwork, motivation, and a drive to learn new things. At the end of the interview, they commented that I displayed all of the qualities of an IT employee that they were looking for. They also commented that my interview went well.

Before I arrived at Eastman, I was sure that I did not want the job. But, after seeing Eastman and learning what they do I changed my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment